Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hansen's Diet Soda: Pomegranate Review

In an earlier post, I gave a diet soda review for three of Hansen’s flavors: Root Beer, Tangerine Lime, and Black Cherry. As you may recall, these diet sodas contain no caffeine, aspartame, or preservatives. Nutritionally speaking, their only downside is that they contain the artificial no-calorie sweetener sucralose (manufactured by Splenda).

Today I got my first taste of Hansen’s diet Pomegranate flavor. You remember that cherry-flavored cough syrup with the sharp aftertaste that was forced down your throat as a kid? Well, Hansen’s Diet Pomegranate Soda kind of reminds me of that medicine.

Does this mean Hansen’s Diet Pomegranate Soda is a total bust? This may come as a surprise, but … not necessarily. The reason why I say this is that some of you may like the taste of pomegranate and its rather intense sweet-tart flavor. I, on the other hand, have only a lackluster liking for the fruit in general. Sure, pomegranate juice makes its way into my fridge on occasion. But it doesn’t pass my lips without some sort of water dilution.

So, if you’re into eating pomegranates, this diet soda may be all the rage with your taste buds. But if the pomegranate fruit makes your lips pucker in a bad way, then proceed with caution.

No comments: